Friday, August 3, 2007

My Review of paperpretties................

Okay.............so we all know that I love to stamp- that's a given. So when I heard about this program that a fellow Stampin'Up! demo was starting I jumped on the bandwagon. I knew she was breaking all kinds of rules as a demo for Stampin'Up! because, clearly, her new endeavor was a conflict of interest, but I overlooked it for the sake of coveting some new stamps called Bellas and having all the work done for me. All I had to do was make the card, ya know?! I had never used unmounted stamps before and I thought this would be a great opportunity to try some. Unfortunately, a few of you joined me on this adventure, and here's what happened:

You agree to sign up for a "subscription" of 6 months for which you are entitled (this is the key-word here) to receive a "card class" in a box. Cardstock, envelopes, embellishments, and a new Bella stamp each month, along with a color copy of a card design. The price is a bit steep, but I decide to try it anyway- my MISTAKE.My very first box was due to arrive in March.................it didn't arrive till the first week of April. Apparently, it takes FOREVER for things to get here from Canada- and when it does, it looks like my mailman has walked it here himself! I open it up and check out the sample- it's okay....... I'm not in love with the card design, but it is just the first month and I figure I should give it some time. I'm hearing that others are complaining about the long shipping times and their comments are "magically erased" from the Yahoo group that was set up for the customers. I guess you can only post a comment if it is a favorable one....otherwise you get banned from the group.

The long and short of it is, the boxes arrive later and later and then the emails begin...............she's missing cardstock and the boxes will be late. Days pass before we hear anything. She sends another: the boxes shipped! She sends another: Actually, the boxes didn't ship. She's still waiting on cardstock- WHAT?! Substitute something- for crying out loud!! In the meantime, my money is still being debited and I have NOTHING to show for it. I'm hanging in cause she's asked me to be a guest designer and I should receive my box early for that month..............that box NEVER COMES. Oh! Here's another email- she's having a GREAT time on her trip to Disney World.........WHAT?! I contact her and say I'm done and I don't want anymore of the boxes. She says I'm obligated till August and she's not giving refunds. I contact Paypal, file complaints, and contact the Better Business Bureau in Canada, and her and I are emailing back and forth and she keeps saying that all of the shipping and supplier issues were " beyond her control". Apparently, EVERY problem she has is beyond her control and just because she send emails out telling everyone that their stuff isn't coming that absolves her from responsibility.

The short of it is that she does refund me for two of the boxes (after numerous emails) and says she will refund the third and final box after I return it to her and she can see whether or not it's been opened. Again, by the time the FedEx guy brings it, it looks like he walked it across the border himself and there is NO WAY I'm gonna send it back to her so she can tell me I opened it and not give me a refund, so I open it, take out the Bella stamp, and give the rest of the junk in the box to the kids....................even they are not worthy of the poor quality envelopes she puts in the boxes if you ask me.

Lesson learned- if you wanna buy other stamps, fine. Knock yourself out. But the cardstock, envelopes and other stuff out there is just NOT the same quality as Stampin'Up- in my humble opinion. Also, If it looks like duck and acts like a duck, chances are it IS a duck. She obviously didn't feel bad about violating her Demonstrator Agreement with Stampin'Up, why would she feel obligated to the people who signed her membership agreement? So be forewarned: do yourself a favor and don't sign up for Paperpretties....they are anything but. Just buy your Bellas direct from their site and save yourself the money and the aggravation!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mean people suck!
Janet

Nancy said...

One thing I never buy online is regular cardstock... you just don't know what you're getting unless you can have it in your hands first! It's different if you're ordering a specific brand (like Bazzill), but some of the stuff out there is SO cheap.

I am so sorry that this interesting idea has flopped so badly.... I was tempted to sign up and am counting my blessings now that I did not!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your entire post. I had the same bad experience with Paper Pretties. I finally received my final box and the corners of all the paper were bent, the card design was cruddy. The only good thing in the box was the bella stamp. Definitely not worth the $50 CDN I paid for it.

Jan Scholl said...

I had a similar experieince with another vendor last year and after a lot of discussion with other unhappy people online, I cancelled my credit card to get out of the contract. then she started calling my home (I never gave her my unlisted number) and sending me snail mails. I think the Bellas are cute but until there is a US vendor, I dont buy from Canada ever. But most kits are already overpriced to begin with. BTW-I have never used SU cardstock-being a Bazzill fan myself. But I may try some if I ever figure out where I put my catty and wish list a few weeks ago for safekeeping. I like some of the colors-is it textured?

Anonymous said...

I think it's sad that Christie has given Canadian vendors a bad name. There are lots of great people to order from in Canada! We're not all bad up here. :-)

Renée said...

I actually HAVE bought from many other Canadian vendors- including direct from Stamping Bella and have had no problems in the past. I just think that she has gone about it in the wrong way and I feel bad for the vendors she's including in her boxes- I hope their businesses don't suffer as a result of being a part of this fiasco.
And yes, Jan- Stampin'Up! started carrying some textured cardstock this year and it's great!

Donna said...

Thank you for alerting us to this. I considered this system of purchasing but now that I have read this, it won't be happening here. Thanks for saving me some grief.

Anonymous said...

You are SO SO SO!! right on the money with your review of Paper Pretties - how that woman can still be in business after all the crap she's pulled with her customers is beyond me. And the fact that she charges an arm and a leg for her "exclusive card designs" that are so ugly is insane! I agree that people need to just buy their Bellas from the source and STAY AWAY from Paper Pretties!!